Hope For Youth, Inc. (HYPE) is a thriving Atlanta-based nonprofit organization that is empowering middle and high school girls of color to become future leaders in tech! With dynamic leadership that supports personal & professional growth, a mission-driven culture that prioritizes quality programming engagement for our students and partners, and a start-up flexibility that promotes balance for a wide range of lifestyles and preferences, HYPE is an ideal place to work, grow, and make a difference in the communities that need us most.
Through our interactive coding camps and programs, high school internship placement, International teaching experiences, college and career readiness training, and women in tech conferences and roundtables, HYPE:
- Addresses early disparities in K-12 education that limit opportunities for girls of color to enter the tech workforce
- Inspires girls of color to confidently pursue technology careers and opportunities
- Supports retention of women of color in tech by building community and increasing representation
If you’re interested in adding purpose to the work that you do every day, consider joining HYPE – where we empower one another to live lives full of hope, driven by love, and void of fear.
Hope for Youth, Inc is seeking enthusiastic, organized, and detail-oriented computer science instructors to join our team. This individual will instruct a seasonal introductory to coding and computer science program for up to 30 students. HYPE’s curriculum is designed to introduce beginners to technology concepts and applications such as Scratch, Web Design & Development, Mobile App Development, Problem Solving, and Innovation & Design Thinking. This is an ideal position for someone who not only wants to impart critical 21st-century skills to others but who is also excited about learning and developing new skills for their own professional growth as well.
In this position, you will collaborate with the curriculum designer, education director, and teaching assistant to foster a positive learning environment, deliver lessons and activities, and provide students with the essential support needed to build their interest in coding and computational thinking.
The after-school program lead instructors will give approximately 12 hours weekly towards program planning, execution, student project review, and team meetings.
Programs and opportunities vary in duration and meeting frequency.
The successful classroom instructor must enjoy working with others and demonstrate commitment to helping the program (and program participants) be successful. Additional necessary requirements include written and verbal communication skills, demonstrated poise and professionalism, ability to explain new concepts to others, comfort with speaking in front of a classroom, comfort with digital & virtual learning tools like Google Classroom, Google Meet, Zoom, Kahoot, etc.; excellent time management and organizational skills, and demonstrated understanding of basic computer science and coding concepts.
The instructor will receive access to curriculum and training prior to the start of the program and will report directly to the Education Director.
Responsibilities & Duties
- Complete training in advance to program start to receive training on HYPE curriculum and pedagogy, classroom management, evaluation requirements, teaching team expectations, tools & resources, etc.
- Lead instruction and effectively maintain an exciting, engaging and accessible classroom environment for a diverse group of up to 30 students.
- Prepare for class each day by reviewing HYPE curriculum materials in advance and adapting them to meet the needs of the students in your classroom.
- Effectively address students’ challenges and questions to ensure that all students are engaged and demonstrating understanding of course material.
- Build positive relationships with students, provide holistic support, and create a safe space in which youth can make mistakes and learn freely
- Establish program culture, including maintaining structure and managing behaviors of students consistently and fairly to ensure a safe, trauma-informed environment;
- Support the development of public speaking, leadership, problem solving, and teamwork skills;
- Chaperone local field trips that provide real-world application to STEM-based careers and associated opportunities (program-specific, not required for all programs);
- Support student interaction with volunteer STEM Professionals, thus increasing their knowledge of various STEM fields and careers (program-specific, not required for all programs);
- Communicate regularly and effectively with all partner staff;
- Track attendance and document student progress;
- Support students with completion of final project and presentations;
- Work with guest speakers to coordinate their time in the classroom
- BA or BS in computer science, a related STEM field, or education; work experience and technical proficiency may be acceptable in lieu of a CS degree.
- Demonstrated ability to manage tasks
- Strong organizational skills and ability to handle administrative and tactical duties
- Ability to manage students in a non-traditional classroom setting
- Must demonstrate proficiency in Microsoft Windows, Word, and Excel; as well as Google Drive, Docs, and Slides
- Strong written, verbal, and interpersonal skills
- Must be able to commit for the entire length of the program
- Believe that all girls can code!
- Seasonal/Part-Time. Up to 20 hours per week
- Daily after-school programs are 90 minutes long
- Requires ability to get to and from the classroom site (for in-person programs only)
- Previous teaching, tutoring, after-school program support, or mentoring experience, especially in a technical capacity is strongly preferred.
- Experience in one or more of the following: mobile app development, robotics, data science, web development and design, algorithms
- Experience with working with youth in an extracurricular capacity
- Pursuing a Masters or PhD is a plus.
NOTE: If you are selected for an interview, you will receive more information about how to prepare for the teaching and technical portions of your interview.
- Salary starts at $25/hour. The salary for this position is commensurate with experience.
- HYPE offers year-round opportunities for advancement to outstanding team members.
- Job Type: Seasonal, Part-Time, Contract
- For the right set of skills, this can be a full-time position with 50% of time spent on the lead instructor role and 50% of time spent supporting IT and internal tech projects focused on Web Design, AWS Development, Business Intelligence & Data Analytics. Please inquire further if you are interested in full-time work.
Interested applicants may submit their applications online here.
Please include in your cover letter a summary of your computer science and/or teaching experience, as well as a description of how you heard about this role, what motivated you to apply, and why you believe you’d be successful.