HYPE Summer Coding Camp Lead Instructor
Hope for Youth, Inc is seeking enthusiastic, organized, and detail oriented computer science instructors to join our team. This individual will instruct a seasonal/summer introductory to coding and computer science program for up to 30 students. HYPE’s curriculum is designed to introduce beginners to technology concepts and applications such as Scratch, Web Design & Development, and Robotics.
In this position, you will collaborate with the curriculum designer, program manager, and teaching assistant to foster a positive learning environment, deliver lessons and activities, and provide students with the essential support needed to build their interest in coding and computational thinking.
HYPE’s summer programs and opportunities vary in length (from 2 to 4 weeks) and are in partnership with various school districts & organizations such as Clayton County School, Technology Association of Georgia Education Collaborative (TAG-Ed), LexisNexis Risk Solutions, and Georgia Tech. During our summer immersive experiences, a cohort of middle to high school students meet daily for computer science and tech exposure, gain access to industry leaders and guest speakers, and may attend weekly field trips (depending on the location).
The successful classroom instructor must enjoy working with others and demonstrate commitment to helping the program (and program participants) be successful. Additional necessary requirements include written and verbal communication skills, demonstrated poise and professionalism, ability to explain new concepts to others, comfort with speaking in front of a classroom, excellent time management and organizational skills, and understanding of basic computer science and coding conepts.
The instructor will receive access to curriculum and training prior to the start of the camp and will report directly to the HYPE Program Manager.
- Seasonal. 35 – 40 hours per week
- Program meets Mondays – Fridays from 8 am – 4 pm
- Requires ability to get to and from the classroom site
Responsibilities and Duties
- Attend 2-Day Training in advance to program start to receive training on HYPE curriculum and pedagogy, classroom management, tools & resources, etc.
- Lead instruction and effectively maintain an exciting, engaging and accessible classroom environment for a diverse group of up to 25 students.
- Prepare for class each day by reviewing HYPE curriculum materials in advance and adapting them to meet the needs of the students in your classroom.
- Effectively address students’ challenges and questions to ensure that all students are engaged and demonstrating understanding of course material.
- Build positive relationships with students, provide holistic support, and create a safe space in which youth can make mistakes and learn freely
- Establish program culture, including creating a code of conduct, maintaining structure, and managing behaviors of students consistently and fairly to ensure a safe, trauma-informed environment;
- Support the development of public speaking, leadership, problem solving, and teamwork skills;
- Chaperone local field trips that provide real-world application to STEM-based careers and associated opportunities;
- Support student interaction with volunteer STEM Professionals, thus increasing their knowledge of various STEM fields and careers;
- Communicate regularly and effectively with all partner staff (including HYPE, TAG-Ed, & LexisNexis Risk Solutions) throughout the duration of the program.
- Ensure the classroom environment is safe and clean.
- Track attendance and document student progress.
- Support students with completion of final project and presentions
- Work with guest speakers to coordinate their time in the classroom
Requirements and Qualifications
- BA or BS in computer science, a related STEM field, or education; work experience and technical proficiency may be acceptable in lieu of a CS degree.
- Demonstrated ability to manage tasks
- Strong organizational skills and ability to handle administrative and tactical duties
- Ability to manage students in a non-traditional classroom setting
- Must demonstrate proficiency in Microsoft Windows, Word, and Excel; as well as Google Drive, Docs, and Slides
- Strong written, verbal, and interpersonal skills
- Must be able to commit to a full 4-week schedule in June and July (exact dates coming)
- Experience in one or more of the following: mobile phone development, robotics, data science, web development and design, algorithms.
- Pursuing a Masters or PhD is a plus.
- The salary for this position is commensurate with experience. HYPE offers year-round opportunities for advancement to outstanding team members.
- Job Type: Seasonal, Contract
- Salary: $15.00 to $20.00 /hour
Interested applicants may send their resume and cover letter to email@example.com
Please include in your cover letter a summary of your computer science and/or teaching experience, as well a description of how you heard about this role, what motivated you to apply, and why you believe you’d be successful.