Hope for Youth, Inc (HYPE) is a small – yet rapidly growing – education nonprofit organization with a mission to empower BIPOC girls with technology skills and prepare them to become future leaders in tech careers, cultivating a pipeline of diverse talent for the tech industry. We believe all girls have the ability to code, our role is to provide exposure to opportunities as well as cultivate interest. Through computer science education, technology career exposure, and significant leadership & learning experiences, HYPE Scholars grow in civic mindedness & global awareness while preparing for careers of the future.
We are a mission-driven organization that places a high value on professional growth and positive experiences for EVERYONE that we impact, whether directly or indirectly. We strive to be a great place to work and are looking for great people to work with us! You can learn more about our organization at www.gethype.org.
Hope for Youth, Inc is seeking an innovative and enthusiastic computer science education designer and curriculum developer for our cohort-based STEM programs, special events, and other workshops designed for middle and high school students. Our curriculum is designed to educate, inspire, and equip middle and high school girls with the skills and resources to pursue academics and careers in the technology and engineering sectors, as well as build courage and community. The four main programs that this director would be expected to manage are:
- The HYPE Project: A 12-week extra-curricular program that engages middle and high school girls in a fully designed, proven and interactive curriculum that teaches critical thinking and the fundamentals of computer science.
- The HYPE Leadership Academy: An 8-week alumni program designed to equip high school students with workforce ready skills for 21st century opportunities. The Leadership Academy consists of two parts: College & Career Readiness workshops and internship or apprenticeship placements.
- HYPE Summer Coding Camps: 1 – 4 week coding camps that offer middle and high school girls a fun, interactive day camp experience where they learn computer skills and the basics of coding. The summer camp includes a fully designed, proven and engaging curriculum, and incorporates career exposure field trips and career presentations by women professionals in tech.
- The HYPE International Experience: HYPE’s signature International Experience gives participants a once-In-a-lifetime opportunity to travel abroad and teach coding skills to youth in an international developing country or urban city center.
Find out more about our programs on our website at www.gethype.org/programs.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Design and implement educational programs directed at program participants, teacher professional development, and members of the HYPE organization.
- Design and develop curriculum or content for The HYPE Project, HYPE Summer Coding Camps, The HYPE International Experience, conferences, or other educational materials ensuring that all curriculum meets educational standards
- Lead instruction and effectively facilitate an exciting, engaging and accessible virtual classroom environment for a highly diverse group of 30 students.
- Utilize virtual learning educational technology tools and platforms approved and provided by HYPE in the delivery of your virtual lessons and classroom. This may include tools like Google Docs, Google Classroom, Zoom, and Pear Deck. Training and time to practice with tools will be provided by HYPE.
- Facilitate professional development for educational partners
- Work with tech partners to incorporate technology specific curriculum and workshop opportunities, badging, certifications, or credentialing programs
- Train and manage instructors, teaching assistants, curriculum interns, and tech volunteers
- Observe teachers in their classrooms and offer insights for the enhancement of effective instruction and program support
- Develop and maintain professional relationships with all educational partners and students and monitor all volunteers for various educational programs
- Identify trends and needs in education and design of programmatic responses including preparation of program descriptions and narratives for grant applications.
- Closely evaluate program results and write up progress reports.
- Develop and nurture relationships with school districts, schools, and partner organizations in order to strengthen connections with communities, especially urban centers and rural communities
- Pursue personal continuing education, professional development opportunities, professional workshops, and skill certifications pertinent to the expectations and goals of the job and organization.
- BA or BS in computer science, a related STEM field, or education. Equivalent work experience and technical proficiency may be acceptable in lieu of a CS degree.
- Deep knowledge of Computer Science and tech trends
- Possess strong analytical skills for evaluating teaching strategies and instructional materials
- Demonstrated organizational, supervisory, and leadership skills
- An analytical mindset with great problem-solving abilities
- Possess pedagogical skills to mentor teachers on effective techniques for educating youth and managing the classroom environment
- Strong organization skills and ability to handle a wide range of administrative and tactical duties
- Comfortable working with multiple partners in multiple locations
- Experience with facilitating utilizing educational technology tools
- Strong written, verbal and interpersonal skills
- Enjoys working in a small, fun, high energy startup environment
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a commitment to and passion for HYPE’s mission
- Believe that all girls can code!
- Teaching certification or previous experience teaching computer science or a related subject.
- Master’s degree in Education Administration or a related field
- Experience with facilitating virtual zoom meetings and navigating online learning platforms.
- Demonstrated experience and maturity in managing a classroom of thirty middle or high school students in a virtual environment.
- Experience teaching an academically and culturally diverse classroom community.
- Technical industry experience a plus.
Interested applicants may send their resume and cover letter to [email protected].
Please include in your cover letter a summary of your relevant experience, a description of how you heard about this role, what motivated you to apply, and why you believe you’d be successful.