Hope For Youth, Inc. (HYPE) is a thriving Atlanta-based nonprofit organization that is empowering middle and high school girls of color to become future leaders in tech! With dynamic leadership that supports personal & professional growth, a mission-driven culture that prioritizes quality programming engagement for our students and partners, and start-up flexibility that promotes balance for a wide range of lifestyles and preferences, HYPE is an ideal place to work, grow, and make a difference in the communities that need us most.
Through our interactive coding camps and programs, high school internship placement, International teaching experiences, college and career readiness training, and women in tech conferences and roundtables, HYPE:
- Addresses early disparities in K-12 education that limit opportunities for girls of color to enter the tech workforce
- Inspires girls of color to confidently pursue technology careers and opportunities
- Supports retention of women of color in tech by building community and increasing representation
Non-Exempt, Full Time. Reports to Education Director
HYPE is seeking a Curriculum Developer who can support in the creation of student-driven tutorials for various computer science concepts to be delivered both in-person and online/on-demand. This work will require the creation of tutorials, projects, lessons, PowerPoint slides, and supplemental lesson materials that align to predetermined goals.
In this role, you will support the creation & maintenance of the following items for each curriculum offered by HYPE:
- A set of student-facing tutorial sections
- An instructor-facing lesson plan
- PowerPoint slides for virtual and/or in-person learning delivery
- A completed sample project along with sample/starter code for each programming concept
The Curriculum Developer will support HYPE in creating detailed, engaging curricula and quality resources, liaising with subject experts, outlining objectives, and providing feasible timeframes. The ideal candidate would be passionate about learning, aware of how the learning process works and be prepared to collaborate with a wide-range of instructors and content creators. Outstanding candidates have strong project management abilities, and excellent technical writing, research, and communication skills.
The Curriculum Developer will report directly to the Curriculum Experience Manager and will be responsible for documenting flexible, plug-and-play lesson plans that help bring structure and cohesion to HYPE’s signature programs, workshops, and coding camps.
Skills, Qualifications, and Other Requirements
Curriculum Developer Responsibilities:
- Follow the established lesson plan model to create new projects, lesson plans, content, and PowerPoint slides
- Become an expert in the relevant online coding environment.
- Design project prompts that are engaging, relevant to the preselected CS topics, and relevant when building a larger project.
- Using a structure designed by HYPE, create student-facing tutorials that support students in the creation of these projects and enable discovery and exploration of the relevant CS concepts.
- Integrate feedback from the HYPE Programs & Education teams
- Conducting research and collaborating with educators, subject experts, and other professionals to develop quality curricula and learning resources.
- Establishing feasible timelines to achieve the goals and objectives outlined in the curriculum.
- Creating stimulating lesson plans and recommending interesting additional resources.
- Creating supplementary teacher and student guides
- Develop a complete set of sample solutions & starter codes for curriculum projects
- Researching and recommending tools and best practices for housing curricula materials
Curriculum Developer Requirements:
- Completed or currently pursuing a degree in Computer Science, Education, or a related discipline.
- Strong digital and research skills.
- Excellent collaboration, and written and verbal communication skills.
- Great networking and interpersonal abilities.
- Strong planning skills, vision, and creative intelligence.
- Experience with instructional design and/or working with non-profit organizations is a plus
- Salary starts at $38,000 per year, plus benefits
Please include in your cover letter a summary of your computer science and/or teaching experience, as well as a description of how you heard about this role, what motivated you to apply, and why you believe you’d be successful.
Hope for Youth, Inc is committed to building a truly diverse and inclusive organization with a focus on valuing, serving, and understanding our target constituents, while challenging all stakeholders to think inclusively for the betterment of our programs.
Hope for Youth, Inc is an equal opportunity employer committed to a policy of equal treatment and opportunity in every aspect of its hiring and promotion process without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sexual orientation, partnership status, gender and/or gender identity or expression, marital, parental or familial status, national origin, ethnicity, veteran or military status, age, disability, or any other legally protected basis. Racial and ethnic minorities and men are encouraged to apply for vacant positions at all levels. HYPE is not able to sponsor employment visas.