HYPE After School Program Lead Instructor
Hope for Youth, Inc is seeking an enthusiastic, organized, and detail oriented computer science instructors to join our team. This individual will assist with the execution of the TechPromise after school program for youth ages 12-16 years old. Our curriculum is designed to introduce beginners to technology concepts and applications such as web development and mobile app development.
In this position, you will be collaborate with the curriculum designer (and possibly a Teaching Assistant) to foster a positive learning environment, deliver lessons and activities, and provide them with the essential support needed to build their interest in coding and computational thinking.
TechPromise is a 16 week after-school program in which a cohort of middle and high school students meet weekly for computer science and tech exposure. The successful classroom instructor must enjoy working with others and demonstrate commitment to helping the program (and program participants) be successful. Additional necessary requirements include written and verbal communication skills, demonstrated poise and professionalism, ability to explain new concepts to others, comfort with speaking in front of a classroom, excellent time management and organizational skills, and understanding of basic computer science and coding conepts.
The instructor will report directly to the HYPE Executive Director.
- Part-time. 4 to 6 hours per week
- Program meets Tuesdays – Thursdays from 4 pm – 6 pm.
- Requires ability to get to and from the program location
- At-Promise Center: 740 Cameron Madison Alexander Blvd NW, Atlanta, GA 30318
Responsibilities and Duties
- Lead instruction and effectively maintain an exciting, engaging and accessible classroom environment for a diverse group of up to 15 students.
- Prepare for class each day by reviewing HYPE curriculum materials in advance and adapting them to meet the needs of the students in your classroom.
- Effectively address students’ challenges and questions to ensure that all students are engaged and demonstrating understanding of course material.
- Communicate regularly and effectively with HYPE staff throughout the duration of the program.
- Ensure the classroom environment is safe and clean.
- Track attendance and Document student progress
Requirements and Qualifications
- Must be a minimum of 18 years old
- Demonstrated ability to manage tasks
- Strong organizational skills and ability to handle administrative and tactical duties
- Strong written, verbal, and interpersonal skills
- Must be able to commit to a full 16-week schedule from January to May (exact dates are determined by program and location)
- BA or BS in computer science, a related STEM field, or education; work experience and technical proficiency may be acceptable in lieu of a CS degree.
- Experience in one or more of the following: mobile phone development, robotics, data science, web development and design, algorithms.
- Pursuing a Masters or PhD is a plus.
How to Apply:
Interested applicants may send their resume and cover letter to email@example.com
Please include in your cover letter a summary of your computer science and/or teaching experience, as well a description of how you heard about this role, what motivated you to apply, and why you believe you’d be successful.