HYPE Summer Coding Camp Teaching Assistant
Hope for Youth, Inc is seeking organized, innovative, friendly and detail oriented Teaching Assistants to join our team for summer programming. This individual will assist with the execution of our seasonal/summer introductory to coding and computer science programs for middle and high school students. In this position, you will be responsible for supervising students while they work on short coding project assignments, assisting with the creation of lesson plans, preparing lesson material, and maintaining classroom tidiness.
HYPE’s summer programs and opportunities vary in length (from 2 to 4 weeks) and are in partnership with various school districts & organizations such as Clayton County School, Technology Association of Georgia Education Collaborative (TAG-Ed), LexisNexis Risk Solutions, and Georgia Tech.
The successful teaching assistant must enjoy working with others and demonstrate commitment to helping the program (and program participants) be successful. Additional necessary requirements include written and verbal communication skills, ability to explain new concepts to others, comfort with speaking in front of a classroom, as well as knowledge of classroom activities and basic coding conepts.
The teaching assistant will report directly to the classroom instructor and HYPE Program Manager. He/She will also assist with delivering The HYPE Project coding workshops.
- Seasonal. 35 – 40 hours per week
- Program meets Mondays – Fridays from 8 am – 4 pm
- Requires ability to get to and from the classroom site
Responsibilities and Duties
- Attend 2-Day Training in advance to program start to receive training on HYPE curriculum and pedagogy, classroom management, tools & resources, etc.
- Work with the lead instructor to monitor the class schedule.
- Assist instructor with lesson preparation by getting materials ready and setting up equipment.
- Revise lesson material with students individually or in small groups.
- Ensure the classroom environment is safe and clean.
- Collaborate with lead instructor to recognize issues students are facing and recommend solutions.
- Track attendance and document student progress
- Help lead instructor with creation and modification of lesson plans.
- Build positive relationships with students, provide holistic support, and create a safe space in which youth can make mistakes and learn freely;
- Support the development of public speaking, leadership, problem solving, and teamwork skills;
- Chaperone local field trips that provide real-world application to STEM-based careers and associated opportunities;
- Support student interaction with volunteer STEM Professionals, thus increasing their knowledge of various STEM fields and careers;
- Support students with completion of final project and presentions
- Work with guest speakers to coordinate their time in the classroom
Requirements and Qualifications
- Must be a minimum of 16 years old
- Strong organizational skills and ability to handle administrative and tactical duties
- Strong written, verbal, and interpersonal skills
- Must demonstrate proficiency in Microsoft Windows, Word, and Excel; as well as Google Drive, Docs, and Slides
- Self starter with demonstrated ability to manage own tasks
- Currently pursuing BS or BA in computer science or a related STEM field (preferred)
- Job Type: Seasonal, Contract
- Salary: $10.00 to $15.00 /hour, based on experience
Interested applicants may send their resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please include in your cover letter the job that you are applying for, a summary of your eligible experience, what motivated you to apply, and why you believe you’d be successful.