HYPE is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization that uses education and exposure to empower young girls of color to see themselves as leaders in technology, with a focus on computing and computer science. Our mission is to increase the percentage of under-represented girls who pursue STEM degrees and careers.
HYPE is seeking a Curriculum Developer and Design Intern who can support in the creation of student-driven online tutorials for various computer science concepts. This work will require the creation of tutorials, projects, and lessons that align to predetermined goals
In this role, you will be expected to support with the creation of the following:
- A set of student-facing tutorial sections
- An instructor-facing lesson plan
- PowerPoint slides for virtual learning delivery
- A completed sample project along with sample/started code for each programming concept
The Curriculum Intern will support HYPE in creating detailed, engaging curricula and quality resources, liaising with subject experts, outlining objectives, and providing feasible timeframes. The ideal candidate would be passionate about learning, aware of how the learning process works and be prepared to collaborate with a wide-range of instructors and content creators. Outstanding candidates have strong project management abilities, and excellent technical writing, research, and communication skills.
The Curriculum Intern will report directly to the Executive Director and will be responsible for documenting flexible, plug-and-play lesson plans that help bring structure and cohesion to HYPE’s signature programs, workshops, and coding camps.
Skills, Qualifications, and Other Requirements
Curriculum Developer Responsibilities:
- Follow established lesson plan model to create new projects, lesson plans, content, and PowerPoint slides
- Become an expert in the relevant online coding environment.
- Design project prompts that are engaging, relevant to the preselected CS topics, and are relevant when building a larger project.
- Using a structure designed by HYPE, create student-facing tutorials that support students in the creation of these projects and enable discovery and exploration of the relevant CS concepts.
- Integrate feedback from the HYPE Programs & Education teams
- Conducting research and collaborating with educators, subject experts, and other professionals to develop quality curricula and learning resources.
- Establishing feasible timelines to achieve the goals and objectives outlined in the curriculum.
- Creating stimulating lesson plans and recommending interesting additional resources.
- Creating supplementary teacher and student guides
- Develop a complete set of sample solution & starter code for curriculum projects
- Researching and recommending tools and best practices for housing curricula materials
Instructional Designer Requirements:
- Completed or currently pursuing a degree in Computer Science, Education, or a related discipline.
- Additional courses in Instructional Design.
- Strong digital and research skills.
- Excellent collaboration, and written and verbal communication skills.
- Great networking and interpersonal abilities.
- Strong planning skills, vision, and creative intelligence.
- Self-starter with ability to manage own tasks with limited oversight.
- A passion for education.
- Experience with computer science, non-profit organization management, and/or is a plus
This role is Part Time/Seasonal. Approximately 10 hours per week, up to 140 hours for the Spring semester;
This project will be given a set number of expected hours;
Qualified candidate will be allowed to work on his/her own time as long as project is completed by mutually agreed upon deadline;
Must meet milestones, as established by project lead, leading up to project completion date;
Project is 100% remote